On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:10:42PM -0800, Chris Hostetter said:
> ...hmm, you shouldn't have to reindex everything.  arey ou sure you
> restarted solr after making the enablePositionIncrements="true" change to
> the query analyzer?

Yup - definitely restarted

> what do the offsets look like when you go to analysis.jsp and past in that
> sentence?

org.apache.solr.analysis.StopFilterFactory
{words=stopwords.txt, ignoreCase=true, enablePositionIncrements=true}

term position:          1           4
term text:              Here    Dragons
term type:              word    word
source start,end        0,4         14,21
payload

> the other thing to consider: you can increase the slop value on that
> phrase query (to allow looser matching) using the "qs" param (query slop)
> ... that could help in this situation (stop words getting striped out of
> hte query) as well as other situations (ie: what if the user just types
> "here be dragons" -- with or without stop words)

After fiddling with the position incremements stuff I upped the query
slop to 2 which seems to now provide better results but I'm worried
about that effecting relevancy elsewhere (which I presume is the reason
why it's not the default value).

If that's the case - is it worth writing something for my app so that if
it detects a phrase query with lots of stop words it ups the phrase
slop?

Either way it seems to be working now  - thanks for all the help,

Simon