:
: > Are there any use cases for CREATE where the instance directory
: > *doesn't* yet exist? I ask because I've noticed that Solr will create
: > an instance directory for me sometimes with the CREATE command. In
: I guess when you try to add documents and an IndexWriter is opened, the data
: directory is created if it does not exist. Since it calls File#mkdirs, all
: parent directories are also created. I don't think Solr creates those
: directories by itself.

Shalin: I'm confused, wasn't this one of the original use cases for the
CREATE command as part of the "LotsOfCores" work you and Noble have been
pushing forward?  I thought one of the goals was that a user could have a
single solrconfig.xml+schema.xml on disk somewhere, and then at run time
use the CREATE command to caused many, many new cores to be created (each
with a new/unqiue instanceDir).

If that isn't intended (and therefor: not handled well) then we should
probably make the CREATE command test for the existence of the specified
instanceDir and error if it doesn't already exist -- otherwise a typo in
an instanceDir file path could lead to some really unexpected behavior.

-Hoss