Two sites that use field-collapsing:
1) www.ilocal.nl
2) www.welke.nl
I'm not sure what you mean with double-tripping? The sites mentioned
do not have performance problems that are caused by field collapsing.

Field-collapsing currently only supports quasi distributed
field-collapsing (as I have described on the Solr wiki). Currently I
don't know a distributed field-collapsing algorithm that works
properly and does not influence the search time in such a way that the
search becomes slow.

Martijn