Hi Andrew,
I applied the patch you suggested. I am not finding any significant changes
in the response times.
I am wondering if I forgot some important configuration setting etc.
Here is what I did:

   1. Wrote a small program using solrj to use EmbeddedSolrServer (most of
   the code is from the solr wiki) and run the server on an index of ~700k docs
   and note down the avg response time
   2. Applied the SOLR-797.patch to the source code of Solr1.4
   3. complied the source code and rebuilt the jar files.
   4. Rerun step 1 using the new jar files.

Am I supposed to do any other config changes in order to see the performance
jump that you are able to achieve.

Thanks a lot,
Raghu