I don't know the use-case so I cannot suggest anything. Solr is different
from relational databases and techniques which are taken for granted in the
RDBMS world are usually not required or have bad performance
characteristics. You shouldn't try to solve problems the same way in solr
and databases.

You have told us that you need to do joins but you haven't told us *why* you
need to do joins. There maybe other ways of solving the same problem. If
not, two queries may be the only way to go.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.