I got it running. -Dsolr.solr.home=c:\web\solr is needed.

Thanks all for the help,

Jill

-----Original Message-----
From: dipti khullar [mailto:dipti.khul...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:01 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: configure solr

Hi

1. Issue with jetty:
When you start the jetty server by running start.jar, just look at the
logs
to verify whether jetty has started successfully or not. At times, the
port
you are using to start jetty(in your case 8983) could be used by some
other
apps, which can cause issues in start up.

2. Details are provided step by step in the wiki as mentioned by eric:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat

But I hope following points can be of some help in debugging issues with
Tomcat installation:

:: Configure Tomcat to recognise the solr home directory you created, by
adding the Java Option -Dsolr.solr.home=c:\web\solr
:: Also, you can easily debug the root cause of problem by looking into
catalina.out file under logs folder of your tomcat installation.

Thanks
Dipti