I was looking through some lucene source codes and found the following class
org.apache.lucene.search.payloads.PayloadSpanUtil

There is a function named queryToSpanQuery in this class. Is this the
preferred way to convert a PhraseQuery to PayloadNearQuery?

Also, are there any performance considerations while using a
PayloadNearQuery instead of a PhraseQuery?

Thanks,
Raghu