Jacob,

Yeah, it really is a big mess with acts_as_solr. I blame a few things: 1) me - for not wrangling this thing into Solr's client/ruby area from the start, 2) Rubyists! (Apache's svn isn't an appealing home) and 3) the git craze promoting fork-mania.

And take a look at this ridiculous bug (in at least one fork) of acts_as_solr: <http://groups.google.com/group/acts_as_solr/browse_thread/thread/4e1dee03a46c6415 >

So... what do we do?

Can we get the best version of acts_as_solr donated to Solr's svn? Who can rightfully say where the IP of that comes from so we can ensure it's provenance is clear and cool by all who touched the code? Or maybe we just start from scratch with the simplest thing that can possibly work (like my acts_as_solr_"lite" (page 13 of http://code4lib.org/files/solr-ruby.pdf) and iterate from there in Apache's svn?

        Erik