I've noticed this as well, usually when working with a large field cache. I
haven't done in-depth analysis of this yet, but it seems like when the stats
page is trying to pull data from a large field cache it takes quite a long
time.

Are you doing a lot of sorting? If so, what are the field types of the
fields you're sorting on? How large is the index both in document count and
file size?

Another approach to get data from the Solr instance would be to use JMX. And
I've been working on a request handler (started by Erik Hatcher) that will
provide the same information as the stats page, but a little more
efficiently. I may try to put up a patch with this soon.

-Jay