When I needed to use it, I couldn't find docs for it either but it's straight
forward. Here's what I did:
un-jar the solr war file to find the lucene jar that solr was using and run
CheckIndex like this
java -cp lucene-core-2.9-dev.jar org.apache.lucene.index.CheckIndex
/path/to/solr/data/index/
to actually *fix* the index, add the "-fix" argument
java -cp lucene-core-2.9-dev.jar org.apache.lucene.index.CheckIndex -fix
/path/to/solr/data/index/

hope that helps,
-Ian