Mat Brown wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Wondering if anyone can point me at a simple way to specify basic
> logging options (log level, log file location) when starting the Solr
> example jar from the command line.
>
> As a bit of background, I maintain a Ruby library for Solr called
> Sunspot that ships with a Solr installation for ease of use. Sunspot
> includes a script for starting Solr with various options, including
> logging options. With Solr 1.3, I was able to write out a
> logging.properties file and then set the system property
> java.util.logging.config.file via the command line; this no longer
> seems to work with Solr 1.4.
>
> I understand that Solr 1.4 has moved to SLF4J, but I haven't been able
> to find a readily available answer to the above question in the SLF4J
> or Solr logging documentation. To be honest, I've always found logging
> in Java rather mystifying.
>
> Any help much appreciated!
> Mat

By default, even though Solr uses SLF4J, it will actually use the Java
Util logging Impl:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging

So you just specify a util logging properties file on the sommand line with:

-Djava.util.logging.config.file=myLoggingConfigFilePath

An example being:

handlers=java.util.logging.FileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

# Default global logging level.
# Loggers and Handlers may override this level
.level=INFO

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level=INFO
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter=java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

# --- FileHandler ---
# Override of global logging level
java.util.logging.FileHandler.level=ALL

# Naming style for the output file:
# (The output file is placed in the directory
# defined by the "user.home" System property.)
java.util.logging.FileHandler.pattern=%h/java%u.log

# Limiting size of output file in bytes:
java.util.logging.FileHandler.limit=50000

# Number of output files to cycle through, by appending an
# integer to the base file name:
java.util.logging.FileHandler.count=1

# Style of output (Simple or XML):
java.util.logging.FileHandler.formatter=java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com