I've got a legacy date field that I'd like to round for sorting and
filtering. Right now, the index is large enough that sorting or
filtering on a date field takes 10-20 seconds (unless it's cached). I
know this is because the date field's precision is down to the
millisecond, and I don't really need that level of precision for most of
my searches. So, is it possible to round my field at query time without
having to reindex the field or add a second one?

I already tried the function sorting in 1.5-dev, but my field isn't a
TrieDate field so I can't use the ms() function (which seems to allow
date math unlike the other functions).

Thanks,

Charlie