On 19.01.2010, at 21:55, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Hi Lukas,

will check it out.

>> a search "quality" meter. As in indicate the total number of matches (doesnt
>> need to be accurate, just a ballpark figure especially if there are a lot of
>> matches)
>
> As in, you want each suggestion include the number of documents it would
> match if that suggestion would be run as the query?
> Wouldn't that require one to execute that query, so if you want to show 10
> suggestions, you'd hit Solr 10 times?

Hmm actually now that you ask, I guess what I want makes no sense.

If I type in "ver" and get various terms which start with "ver" obviously if I
submit that search unless something is actually indexes as just "ver" there
will obviously be no match at all.

Let me briefly explain where I am coming from.
We have a search field and above it is the number of total entities in the db.
Now as people are typing in search terms we want to give them an indication of
how many results they can expect if they submit now.
But this UI concept was made by the UI team and obviously inspired by a more
RDBMS like LIKE "foo%" search, which i guess could be implemented in solr as
well, but  the question is if it makes sense.

so i guess if i do use TC then it makes more sense to display a list of all
autocomplete terms and their respective totals. if at all i should update the
number above as the person is moving their focus to one of the autocomplete
options.

>> I also want to match multiple fields at once.
>
> Can you give an example?

I enter "Kreuz" but this could either be part of a persons name or of a street
name, which are separate fields in my index mainly because they analyzed
differently (person name using doublemetaphone and street name using word
splitting to extract relevant parts for better matching).

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org