I'd like to provide a hierarchical faceting functionality.

An example would be location drill down such as USA -> New York -> New York
City -> SoHo

The number of levels can be arbitrary. One way to handle this could be to use a
special character as separator, store values such as "USA|New York|New York
City|SoHo" and use wildcard search. So if "USA" has been selected, the fq would
be USA*

I read somewhere that when using wildcard search, no stemming or tokenization
will be performed. So "USA" will not match 'usa". Is there any way to work
around that?

Or would you recommend a different way to handle hierarchical faceting?