Are you indexing an empty value?  Or not indexing a field at all?

-field:[* TO *] will match documents that do not have the field at all.

        Erik

On Jan 25, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Jan-Simon Winkelmann wrote:

Hi there,

i have a field defined in my schema as follows:

<field name="puid" type="integer" indexed="true" stored="false"
required="false" />

Valid values for the fields are (in theory) any unsigned integer value. Also
the field can be empty.

My problem is, that if I have (puid:[0 TO *] OR -puid:[* TO *]) as filter query i get 0 results, without the "-puid:[* TO *])" part i get about 6500 results. What am I doing wrong? I was under the impression i could find
empty fields with a "* TO *"
range?

Thanks very much in advance!

Best,