Hi!

Of course the answer depends (as usually) very much on the features
you want to realize. But Solr can be set up very fast. When we created
our first prototype, it took us about a week to get it running with
spell phoneme search, spell checking, facetting - and even collapsing
(using the famous 236-patch).

It is definitely very nice that you can do a lot of things using the
available components and only configuring them inside solrconfig.xml
and schema.xml.

And you may well start with the standard distribution.

Cheers,
   Sven