: Is it safe to say in order to do exact matches the field should be a string.

It depends on your definition of "exact"

If you want exact matches, including unicode codepoints and
leading/trailing whitespace, then StrField would probably make sense --
but you could equally use TextField with a KeywrodTokenizer and nothing
else.

If you want *some* normalization (ie: trim leading/trailing whitespace,
map equivilent codepoints to a canonical representation, etc...) then you
need TextyField.

: Now in my dismax handler if i have the qf defined as text field and run a
: phrase search on text field
: "my car is the best car in the world"
: i dont get back any results. looking with debugQuery=on this is the
: parsedQuery
: text:"my tire pressure warning light came my honda civic"
: This will not work since text was indexed by removing all stop words.

it *can* work if the query analyzer for your text field type is also
configured to remove stopwords, and if you either: configure the
StopFilter(s) to deal with token positions in the way the parser expects
(i forget which one works, you have to play with it); OR us a "qs" (query
slop) value that gives you enough slop to miss those empty stop word gaps.

-Hoss