: My parameters look like this (running the Solr example):
:
: java -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=6060
: -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
: -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -jar start.jar

What implementation/version of java are you running?

On my Mac running Sun Java 1.6, that exact command works fine for Solr 1.4
(using JConsole to connect to "localhost:6060" as a remote process)

Perhaps other JVM providers require differnet options to start up JMX?

-Hoss