Hi Jon,

You will need to write a plugin

You will need custom Query parser and an Update Handler depending on what
you are doing.

The implementation of an Update Handler or Update Request Processor is not
recommended because it is considered to be advanced.

Take a look at the following links for more information

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPlugins

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateRequestProcessor

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/update/UpdateHandler.html

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/search/QParserPlugin.html

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/update/processor/UpdateRequestProcessor.html

--
"Good Enough" is not good enough.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.