I've actually run into this issue; huge, 30 minute warm up times. I've found that reducing the auto-warm count on caches (and the general size of the cache) helped a -lot-, as did making sure my warm up query wasn't something like:

q=*:*&facet=true&facet.field=somethingWithAWholeLotOfTerms

Tune your warm up queries so they are a bit more conservative, and you should be fine. Don't warm facets on fields with a billion terms, and make sure your application makes effective use of query and faceting. I warm an index with ~30 /million/ records in about 50 seconds, and I'm pretty sure I could do better!

Hope this helps!