Thanks.   Headless put me in the right direction.

I am running on a headless Mac OSX 10.6 Server.

I added the below to my {CATALINA_HOME}/bin/setenv.sh file and now I am
indexing RTF.

export JAVA_OPTS="-d64 -server -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true"

Thanks again!

-Bill