That's great information.  Thanks!

    -Alex

Alex Thurlow
Blastro Networks

http://www.blastro.com
http://www.roxwel.com
http://www.yallwire.com

On 3/2/2010 3:11 PM, Ahmet Arslan wrote:
     I'm new to Solr and just getting it set up
and testing it out.  I'd like to know if there's a way
to give a different weight to different data fields.

For an example, I'm going to be storing song
information.  I have the fields: Artist, Title,
Description, and Tags.  I'd like occurrences of the
search term in Artist and Title to count more than the ones
found in Description and Tags.  For instance, a search
for Bruce Springsteen against all the fields should return
the ones where artist=Bruce Springsteen higher than ones
that just have that within the description.  Is this
possible either in the indexing or with a query option?
You can do it in either query time or index time. In query time you can assign
different boost values with carat operator.
e.g. Artist:(Bruce Springsteen)^10 Title:(Bruce Springsteen)^5

Also dismax[1] request handler might useful to you.

[1]http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxRequestHandler

At index time you can give different boost values to different fields. [2]
e.g.<field name="Artist" boost="10.0">

[2]http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateXmlMessages#Optional_attributes_for_.22field.22