waitFlush=true means that the commit HTTP call waits until everything
is sent to disk before it returns.
waitSearcher=true means that the commit HTTP call waits until Solr has
reloaded the index and is ready to search against it. (For more, study
Solr warming up.)

Both of these mean that the HTTP call (or curl program or Solrj
program) that started the commit, waits until it is done. Other
processes doing searches against the index are not blocked. However,
the commit may have so much disk activity that the other searches do
not proceeed very fast. They are not completely blocked.

The commit will take as long as it takes, and your results will appear
after that. If you want to time that, use
waitFlush=true&waitSearcher=true.