I messed with a perfectly good 1.3 setup and installed Solr 1.4 in the hope of
seeing better faceting performance.  Nothing in the release notes or migrating
section scared me off.    I stuck with it a little too long and now due to the
costs of rebuilding the time delta on the index I am committed.   I'm now
having a lot of problems with uptime, the Solr instances just get in a place
where they spend all their time doing GC (even before reaching Xmx sometimes).
  I've since turned off nearly all faceting (using enum currently, switching to
fc did not change anything) and dropped the FilterCache size back into
stratospheric levels.  I realized, with the new FieldCache stuff, I no longer
understand the performance levers involved.    At first, I thought upping
permgen space from 192->256MB helped.   I soon found myself in the same boat as
I was before.

I have two Solr 1.4 slaves, both a single quad core Xenon (from about 1.5 years
ago) and 16GB of RAM.   The index is closing in on 70GB (was >120GB long ago
but cut down on a lot of the stored fields, useless data, etc).   I do a very
low volume of searches by count.

My old working and stable 1.3 config was:

-server
-d64
-Xmx12g
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
-XX:+UseParNewGC

Trying to get stability... I've [had the perception of] SLIGHT improvements by
adding

-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
-XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=50

I've also toyed with removing some of these and even using the parallel
collector (which worked great for me when I was at CNET... but on a much much
smaller collection and a much older java).  Nothing seems to help.

# java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)

How do I control how much heap the FieldCache will use?  Are there any good
resources out there that will help me understand the performance impacts and
tuning for FieldCache?
Is there anything new in 1.4 besides the FC that I should be looking at?  I
obviously don't have enough info here to place blame on the FC.  I added a
FieldValueCache as per the new sample solrconfig.xml ... but I've never seen
anything appear in there ... I presume I will only see entries when I am using
the fc faceting method.

Any suggestions on a change to my GC settings or solrconfig.xml to match with
changes in 1.4?

I'm going to add an SSD L2ARC to get some better performance but that will not
help my GC issues.

Trey Hyde
th...@centraldesktop.com
Central Desktop, Inc.