: reloading the core just to reset the stats definitely seems like throwing
: out the baby with the bathwater.

Agreed about throwing out the baby with the bath water - if stats need to be
reset, though, then that's the only way today.  A reset stats button would
be a nice way to prevent having to do this.

: Huh? ... how would having an extra core (with no data) help you with
: getting aggregate stats from your request handlers?

Say I have 3 Cores names core0, core1, and core2, where only core1 and core2
have documents and caches.  If all my searches hit core0, and core0 shards
out to core1 and core2, then the stats from core0 would be accurate for
errors, timeouts, totalTime, avgTimePerRequest, avgRequestsPerSecond, etc.
Obviously this is based upon the following two assumptions: 1) The request
handlers you are using/monitoring are distributed aware, and 2) you are
using distributed search and all your queries are going to an aggregating
core.

I'm not suggesting that anyone needs a setup like this, just pointing out
that this type of setup somewhat avoids throwing the baby out with the bath
water by not putting a baby in the bath water that is going to be thrown out
(core0).