Lukas Kahwe Smith:
> On 07.04.2010, at 14:24, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> > For Solr the idea is also just copy the index files into a new directory
> > and then use http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin#RELOAD after updating
> > the config file (I assume its not possible to hot swap like with MySQL).
>
> Since I want to keep a local backup of the index, I guess it might be
>  better to first call "UNLOAD" and then "CREATE" after having moved the
>  current index data to a back dir and having moved the new index data into
>  position. Now "UNLOAD" has the feature of continuing to serve existing
>  requests. In my case I actually lock the slaves, so there shouldn't be any
>  requests and if so, they do not matter anyways.
>
> I do not want to shutdown the solr server in order to not accidentally
>  tick-off the monitoring. But I also want to make sure I do not corrupt the
>  index (then again I am only reading anyways). But I am worried if for some
>  reason there is still some request open and I do not poll via STATUS
>  action to make sure the core is UNLOADed, that I might corrupt the index.
>
> regards,
> Lukas Kahwe Smith
> m...@pooteeweet.org

Hallo Lukas,

it sounds as if you could just use SOLR replication out of the box. The
replication only happens, if a commit on the master happens or on some other
trigger, so you don't waste time on unnecessary replications during the day.

Is there by any chance the possibility that you'd rather want to store your
data in HBase then in MySQL? I'm working on a project right now to store
SOLR/Lucene indices directly in HBase too.

I'll be at the webtuesday tomorrow. Maybe I could give an introduction to
Hadoop/HBase on a next webtuesday?

Beste Grüße,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro