Hi All,
I am using Solr 1.4 (10 November 2009 release), Lucene core 2.9.2, LocalSolr
2.0, LocalLucene 2.0, Tomcat 5.5

I get the following error when I try to sort the result by geo_distance.
Here is the stacktrace...

SEVERE: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.SortField.getComparator(SortField.java:496)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.FieldValueHitQueue$OneComparatorFieldValueHitQueue.<init>(FieldValueHitQueue.java:79)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.FieldValueHitQueue.create(FieldValueHitQueue.java:192)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.TopFieldCollector.create(TopFieldCollector.java:886)
        at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.getDocListNC(SolrIndexSearcher.java:981)
        at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.getDocListC(SolrIndexSearcher.java:884)
        at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.search(SolrIndexSearcher.java:341)
        at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.getDocList(SolrIndexSearcher.java:1161)
        at
com.pjaol.search.solr.component.LocalSolrQueryComponent.process(LocalSolrQueryComponent.java:286)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody(SearchHandler.java:195)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:131)
        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:1316)

Commented the following line in org.apache.lucene.search.SortField
return comparatorSource.newComparator(field, numHits, sortPos, reverse);
and added the following line temporarily.
return new FieldComparator.DoubleComparator(numHits, field, parser);

Changed geo_distance type to double from sdouble in my schema.xml.
Then it works. But i think its a bug in lucene 2.9.2 code. It will always
give NPE.

Here are the original two lines from the file
org.apache.lucene.search.SortField [getComparator() method, lucene 2.9.2]...
assert factory == null && comparatorSource != null;
return comparatorSource.newComparator(field, numHits, sortPos, reverse);

And factory = com.pjaol.search.geo.utils.distancesortsou...@1568654 and
comparatorSource = null always. So it always call newComparator() on null.

Can anyone help me with this, please?

Thank you very much for your support.

Regards,
Sandeep