Thanks guys. Unfortunately, neither pattern works.

I tried various combos including these:

([^|]*)\|([^|]*)  with replaceWith="$1"
(.*?)(\|.*) with replaceWith="$1"
(.*?)\|.* with and without replaceWith="$1"
(.*?)\|  with and without replaceWith="$1"

As previously mentioned, I have tried many other ways without success.

I did notice that if I dont do the stripBy that it removes the everything
from the last "|^" onwards leaving me something like
"dataA1|^dataA2|?dataB1|^dataB2|?dataC1".

to me this doesnt look like a regex pattern issue; instead looks more like a
solr/lucene issue with regex.

any other suggestions welcome.  otherwise, will have to create custom
transformer