My use requires a mroe correct processing of language than what you define
as a stemmer. My experience with stemmers is that even with some words
without a stem, it makes a new word from it. I consider those false
positives.

My approach is based on the need to recognize that walk, walked, walking
all refer to the same lemma "walk" as is correct in grammar (not some
stemmer algorithm choice).

It scales fine. In fact, I use lucene with Instantiated in-memory index to
perform the lookups, but one could easily use MySQL or something else.

Darren