On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stemming/lematization will pretty much always improve recall at the cost of
> precision - that's nothing new. If you stem instead, are you going to want
> documents that had run and water when you searched for running water? I just
> don't see this point as an argument against lemmatization and in favor of
> stemming.

its not really supposed to be an argument in favor of stemming. I just don't
think lemmatization/dictionary resources are any better.

here's a test that seems to agree:
http://www.clef-campaign.org/2003/WN_web/19.pdf

(for languages with compound word forms, the lexical approach helps,
obviously, but for stuff like English, Italian, nope)

--
Robert Muir
rcm...@gmail.com