Turns out that I was almost there, just stuck that system property in the wrong place. There is a "Systems Properties" form just for these types of things. Sticking them in the JVM or Web Container properties wasn't the right thing to do.

The only problem I now still have is that the xml response is raw. How do I trigger the xlts transformations for a easier to read xml rendering?

For those interested in the answer here are the steps I went through to get
Solr configured under Glassfish

 first, I used the command line
 bin/asadmin deploy solr.war
 to deploy the application.

Then I copied the Solr home directory structure (from the documentation is example/solr) to /var/solr
 There is a java system property for solr by the name solr.solr.home that you
can set to direct the Solr web application to find its home directory at a
particular place. So in our case that system property needs to be set as
follows:

 solr.solr.home=/var/solr

In the "Enterprise Server" form (Common Tasks/Enterprise Server in the left navigation menu of the Administration console) there is a tab called "System Properties". Add the above mentioned property in this form. save it.
 Then go back to the "General" tab. Just underneath the "General Information" label there
is a button with the command "Restart". Hit that to restart the Glassfish server. I guess, if you
set this property before you deploy the Solr web application you don't need to do a restart, but I didn't
confirm that behavior.

 Once restarted, go to the applications tab and launch the Solr application.
And now the Solr web application will come up in a separate browser window.