On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Sixten Otto <six...@sfko.com> wrote:
> - Plunge ahead with the trunk, and hope that things stabilize by a few
> months from now, when we'd be hoping to go live on one of our biggest
> client sites.
> - Go with the last 1.5 code, knowing that the features we want are in
> there, and hope we don't run into anything majorly broken.
> - Stick with 1.4, and just accept the necessity of needing to push
> content to the HTTP interface.

Of course this is really up to you, but personally I would not
recommend using the trunk (slated to become 4.0) and hope that it
stabilizes.

Some discussions/voting happened and the trunk is intended to be ...
more like a normal trunk.

If you need features not in an official release, and are looking for a
codebase with updated features, I would recommend instead considering:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/

I am sure someone will disagree, but its my opinion that this 3.x
release branch is actually more stable than you might think, it gets
all the bugfixes and "safe features" from the trunk, but nothing
really risky or scary.

So for example, it gets a lot of bugfixes and cleanups, and gets
things like improvements to spatial and new analyzers, but doesn't get
the really risky stuff like flexible indexing changes from Lucene.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/solr/CHANGES.txt
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/lucene/CHANGES.txt
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/lucene/contrib/CHANGES.txt

--