Hi Peter,

You need to use Lucene,

   - To have more control
   - You cannot depend on any Web server
   - To use termvector, termdocs etc
   - You could easily extend to have your own Analyzer

You need to use Solr,

   - To index and search docs easily by writting few code
   - Solr is a standalone App and it takes care most of the stuff like
   optimizing,warmup the reader etc..
   - Solr could be extended to multiple nodes
   - To use facet

If you are developing your client in Java and want to use Solr then i would
advise to use SolrJ as it is easy and you don't need to care about HTTP
stuff. I use Solr using SolrJ in my project www.findbestopensource.com

Regards
Aditya