Hi Robert,

thanks, you're absolutely right. I should better refine my initial question to: What's the idea behind the fact that no *lowercasing* is performed on wildcarded search terms if the field in question contains a LowercaseFilter in its associated field type definition?

-Sascha

Robert Muir wrote:
we can use stemming as an example:

lets say your query is c?ns?st?nt?y

how will this match "consistently", which the porter stemmer
transforms to 'consistent'.
furthermore, note that i replaced the vowels with ?'s here. The porter
stemmer doesnt just rip stuff off the end, but attempts to guess
syllables as part of the process, so it cannot possibly work.

the only way it would work in this situation would be if you formed
permutations of all the possible words this wildcard would match, and
then did analysis on each form, and searched on all stems.

but, this is impossible, since the * operator allows an infinite language.