I ran through some more failure scenarios (scenarios and results below). The
concerning ones in my deployment are when data does not get updated, but the
DIH's .properties file does. I could only simulate that scenario when I ran
out of disk space (all all disk space issues behaved consistently). Is this
worthy of a JIRA issue?

Successful import

all dates updated in .properties (title date updated, each [entity
name].last_index_time updated to its own update time. last_index_time set to
earliest entity update time)

Running out of disk space during import (in data directory only, conf
directory still has space)

no data updated, but dataimport.properties updated as in 1

Running out of disk space during import (in both data directory and conf
directory)

some data updated, but dataimport.properties updated as in 1

Running out of disk space during commit/optimize (in data directory only,
conf directory still has space)

no data updated, but dataimport.properties updated as in 1

Running out of disk space during commit/optimize (in both data directory and
conf directory)

no data updated, but dataimport.properties updated as in 1

File permissions prevent writing (on index directory)

data not updated, failure reported, properties file not updated

File permissions prevent writing (on segment files)

data updated, failure reported, properties file not updated

File permissions prevent writing (on .properties file)

data updated, failure reported, properties file not updated

Shutting down Solr during import (killing process)

data not updated, .properties not updated, no result reported

Shutting down Solr during import (issuing shutdown message)

Some data updated, .properties not updated, no result reported

DB connection lost (unplugging network cable)

data not updated, .properties not updated, failure reported

Updating single entity fails (first one)

data not updated, .properties not updated, failure reported

Updating single entity fails (after another one succeeds)

data not updated, .properties not updated, failure reported