accidentally hit send...

Eache core can have the dataDir set explicitly.

  <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0">
    <property name="dataDir" value="/data/core0" />
  </core>
  <core name="core1" instanceDir="core1">
    <property name="dataDir" value="/data/core1" />
  </core>

If you want to do this with solrj, you would need to manipulate the
CoreDescriptor objects.

ryan