This is an interesting discussion and I have a few questions:
1) My apologies but I haven't been following the NRT patch beyond what was
presented at a meetup some months back and the wiki but what is the status
of it in Solr?
2) What are typical/accepted definitions of "Real Time" vs "Near Real Time"?
==> Related to Grant's points earlier.
3) I could understand POSTing a document to a server and then turning around
and searching for it on the same server but what about a replicated
environment and how do you prevent caches from being blown and constantly
re-warmed (hence performance degradation)? I could set Solr replication once
per minute or less but then the caches caches would be regenerated each
minute which I suspect is not cheap.

Note: I am curious about this from a typical web-based application
perspective as opposed to an embedded/desktop application like context
described earlier in this thread.

Thanks!
Amit