Hi Erick,

Erick Erickson wrote:
Ah, I may have misunderstood, I somehow got it in my mind
you were talking about the length of each term (as in string length).

But if you're looking at the field length as the count of terms, that's
another question, sorry for the confusion...

I have to ask, though, why you want to sort this way? The relevance
calculations already factor in both term frequency and field length. What's
the use-case for sorting by field length given the above?
It's not a real world use-case -- I just want to get a better understanding of the data I'm indexing (therefore, performance is neglectable). In my current use case, you can think of the field length as an indicator of data quality (i.e., the longer the field content, the worse the quality is). Being able to sort the field data in order of decreasing length would allow me to investigate "exceptional" data items that are not appropriately handled by my curation process.

Best,
Sascha

Best
Erick