: CommonsHttpSolrServer.request() resulting in multiple searchers.  My first
: thought was to change the configs for autowarming.  But after looking at the
: autowarm params, I am not sure what can be changed or perhaps a different
: approach is recommened.

even with 0 autowarming (which is what you have) it can still take time to
close/open a searcher on every commit -- which is why a commit per doc is
not usually a good idea (and is *definitely* not a good idea when doing
batch indexing.

most people can get away with just doing one commit after all their docs
have been added (ie: at the end of the batch) but if you've got a ot of
distinct clients, doing a lot of parllel indexing and you don't want to
coordinate who is responsible for sending the commit, you can configure
"autocommit" to happen on the solr server...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrConfigXml#Update_Handler_Section

...but in general you should make sure that your clients sending docs can
deal with the occasional long delays (or possibly even needing to retry)
when an occasional commit might block add/delete operations because of an
expensive segment merge.

-Hoss