Hmmm, well, the lucene query parser does basic backslash escaping, and
so does local params within quoted strings.  You can also use
parameter derefererencing to avoid the need to escape values too.
Like you pointed out, using single quotes in some places can also
help.

But instead of me trying to give you tons of examples that you
probably already understand, start from the assumption that things
will work, and if you come across something that doesn't make sense
(or doesn't work), I can help with that.   Or if you give a single
real example as a general pattern, perhaps we could help figure out
the simplest way to avoid most of the escaping.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com