The only solution without "doing any custom work" would be to perform a
normal query for each suggestion. But you might get into performance
troubles with that, because suggestions are typically performed much
more often than complete searches.

The much faster solution that needs own work would be to build up a
large TreeMap with each word as the keys, and the matching terms as the
values.

-Michael