: As it stands, solr works fine, and sites like
: http://locahost:8983/solr/admin also work.
:
: As soon as I put a solr.xml in the solr directory, and restart the tomcat
: service. It all stops working.
: <solr persistent="false">
:   <cores adminPath="/admin/cores">
:     <core name="core0" instanceDir="." />
:   </cores>
: </solr>

You need to elaborate on "It all stops working" ... what does that mean?
what are you trying to do? and what errors are you getting?

when i take an existing (functional) Solr 1.4 SolrHome dir, and drop that
solr.xml file into it, everything works as expected for me....

  1. Solr starts up
  2. This URL lists a link to the admin page for a single core named
     "core0"...
     http://localhost:8983/solr/
  3. This URL let's me use core0...
     http://localhost:8983/solr/core0/admin/
  4. this URL (specified in your solr.xml) let's my admin the cores
     (ie: view-status/add/remove/reload) ...
     http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores

-Hoss