From: Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Mon, Aug 2, 2010 5:41 pm
Subject: Re: Phrase search

 I don't understand why i'm getting this behavior.  I was under the
 impression if I search for "Apple 2" (with quotes and space before “2”)
 it will give me different results vs. if I search for "Apple2" (with
 quotes and no space before “2”), but I'm not!  Why?
if you search "Apple 2" in quotes, then the analyzer for your field gets
he full string (with the space) and whatever it does with it and whatever
erms it produces determs what Query gets executed.  If you search
Apple2" (w/ or w/o quotes) then the analyzer for your field gets the full
tring and whatever it does with it and whatever Terms it produces determs
hat Query gets executed.
None of that changes based on the analyzer you use.
With that in mind: i relaly don't understand your question.  Let's step
ack and instead of trying to explain *why* you are getting the results
ou are getting (short answer: because that's how your analyzer works)
et's ask the quetsion: what do you *want* to do?  What do you *want* to
ee happen when you enter various query strings?
http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem
Y Problem
Your question appears to be an "XY Problem" ... that is: you are dealing
ith "X", you are assuming "Y" will help you, and you are asking about "Y"
ithout giving more details about the "X" so that we can understand the
ull issue.  Perhaps the best solution doesn't involve "Y" at all?
ee Also: http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341
: I’m using Solr 1.2
PS: Solr 1.2 had numerous bugs which were really really bad and which were
ixed in Solr 1.3.  Solr 1.3 had numerous bugs where were really really
ad and were fixed in Solr 1.4.  Solr 1.4 had a couple of bugs where
eally really bad and which were fixed in Solr 1.4.1 ... so even if you
on't want any of hte new features, you should *REALLY* consider
pgrading.

Hoss