That's fine, i'm ok with the sub-queries and the additional overhead is to be
expected and how I would have thought it would work.

I guess my question is does it work that way at all or am I misinterpreting
something? Have others successfully imported dynamic multivalued fields in a
child entity using the DataImportHandler via the child entity returning
multiple records through a RDBMS?

Someone else had a similar issue recently but no one replied. See:
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/dataimporthandler-multivalued-dynamic-fields-td684509.html#a684509