Hi,

I have 5 Million small documents/tweets (=> ~3GB) and the slave index
replicates itself from master every 10-15 minutes, so the index is
optimized before querying. We are using solr 1.4.1 (patched with
SOLR-1624) via SolrJ.

Now the search speed is slow >2s for common terms which hits more than 2
mio docs and acceptable for others: <0.5s. For those numbers I don't use
highlighting or facets. I am using the following schema [1] and from
luke handler I know that numTerms =~20 mio. The query for common terms
stays slow if I retry again and again (no cache improvements).

How can I improve the query time for the common terms without using
Distributed Search [2] ?

Regards,
Peter.

[1]
<field name="id" type="tlong" indexed="true" stored="true"
required="true" />
<field name="date" type="tdate" indexed="true" stored="true" />
<!-- term* attributes to prepare faster highlighting. -->
<field name="txt" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"
               termVectors="true" termPositions="true" termOffsets="true"/>

[2]
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch