On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 05:18:34 -0700 (PDT)
Muneeb Ali <muneeba...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need some guidance over improving search response time for our
> catalog search.
[...]
> I would appreciate if anyone with similar background could shed
> some light on upgrading hardware in our situation. Or if any
> other configuration tweak that is not on the above list.
[...]

It would probably help if you could post some benchmarks of what
your current search response times are (from the Solr back-end,
and not from any front-end in front of it), and what your desired
response times are. You could use Apache bench, and or JMeter for
this.

As a data point, while our index size/no. of documents is smaller
(~40GB/3.6 million documents), we are seeing a mean response
time/request of ~120ms for numeric fields, at 50 simulated
simultaneous connections, with a single Solr server having 8 ~2GHz
cores, and 12GB RAM. This measure however, *is* influenced by the
effects of Solr caching. Solr is close to a factor of 10 faster
than our front-end, even though that is pulling almost everything
from Solr. So, we are happy on that front :-)

Regards,
Gora