Hi,

You can place Solr wherever you want, but if your data is veery large, you'd
want dedicated box.

Have a look at DIH (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler). It can both
crawl a file share periodically, indexing only files changed since a timestamp
(can be e.g. NOW-1HOUR) and extract resulting text using Tika.

However if you require security, have a look at LCF
(http://incubator.apache.org/connectors/) which adds security but may lack a
powerful file crawler..

You choose how the results are presented back to the user, but normally it's a
traditional web page with links which when clicked will point to that resource
in some way.

Wrt. user's local content - what is that? Sounds like you want to hook in to a
local search on the laptop like Google does. To do that you'd have to develop a
local service sitting in the system tray on each computer, exposing some API on
some port. And then when user searches your search portal, e.g.
search.mycompany.com/?q=foo, the GUI uses some AJAX to reach out to the local
search service and filter that in to the results...

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com