The request is from our business team, they wish user of our product can type in partial string of a word that exists in title or body field. But now I also doubt if this request is really necessary?

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ahmet Arslan" <iori...@yahoo.com>
To: <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: Doing Shingle but also keep special single word

1. We have over ten million news articles to build into
Solr index.
2. We copy several fields, such as title, author, body,
caption of attahed photos into a new field for default
search.
3. We then wanna use shingle filter on this new field.
4. We can't predict what new single-word noun that our
users may be interesting cause it's "news", you know. For
exmple, the word "ECFA" is only very popular word in news
here recently, so I wish users can type in 'ECFA' to search
and Solr will output see some relevant news articles.
5. I wish to keep index as smaller as possible.
6. I also wish to do same thing descirbed in 5 when I
search by explicitly specifyng field name of those fields,
too.

Can i ask why do you need/use shingle filter?