I was just reading about configuring mass computation grids: hardware
writes on 2 striped disks take 10% than writes on a single disk,
because you have to wait for the slower disk to finish. So, single
disks without RAID are faster.

I don't know how much SSD disks cost, but they will certainly cure the
disk i/o problem.