while investigating custom functions in solr, I noticed LiteralValueSource

according to the one line documentation will "Pass a the field value through
as a String, no matter the type"

how would I use such a value source?  if it is a value source, I should be
able to use it in functionqueries for string related tests.

the reason I was wondering was that I wanted to see if I could create a
custom function that returned a string value source (after some
manipulation) to the query, possibly something like this:

http://mysolrserver:8080/solr/select?q=*:* AND
_val_:("mycustomstrfunction(mysolrfield):'somestringvalue'")&sort=score asc

is this type of functionality feasible in solr?